- Final positioned truck in hangar
- We positioned the truck in the corner of the hanger and double checked to make sure we had enough room to work around it while staying inside our pre-planned footprint. We started digging into systems today, so we consider the truck inoperable until we start reassembly.
- Vacuumed out frame integrated tool box and battery tray
- Removed front reflectors
- Removed back brackets
- Removed marker light covers
- Removed front grill
- Removed air intake
The air intake on this truck is pretty interesting. It is designed by a company named Donaldson that makes particle separator intakes for helicopters and industrial equipment. The air is sucked into the engine through a series of small vortex tubes. As the air enters the vortex tube, it is spun by the guide vanes you can see above. As the air spins, particles are flung to the outside of the tube and particle free fresh air is drawn through the middle of the tube. The particles are then vacuumed or sucked out of the assembly by a tube that you can see in the lower left side of the picture. The suction is produced by the exhaust system of the engine so the particles are mixed with exhaust and blown out of the vehicle. Supposedly, it works very well. The only downside is that it is a very big device and gets in the way of our camper plans a little bit. We removed the top of the intake assembly today and plan to modify it to reduce the overall height of that portion of the assembly. After reviewing the flow characteristics of the intake and reviewing Donaldson’s documentation, it appears that our planned modifications will have no affect on engine performance.
Beyond having a log book to keep track of what we do each day (so that we can post to this blog), we keep a log of tools and goods we need to bring to the hangar to work on the truck, items we need to buy, and a running to-do list so that when we are tired at the end of the day we can just go down the list and work on what we have the energy to do that day.